Tuesday, June 4, 2013

CL is confidently going up against the big boys with ‘나쁜기집애’!

This spring marked the return of many singers in the music industry. Starting from Psy, Cho Yong Pil, Shinhwa, Lee Hyori etc all released new albums. They then proceeded to sweep the top spots on various music charts. On the other hand, the momentum of idols is not as strong as it was in previous years. We are experiencing a drought in idol hits right now as they are ‘buried’ under the brilliant comebacks of the heavyweight singers.

However, there is one idol singer who is gaining sensational popularity after releasing her new song. It is girl group 2NE1′s leader, CL (Real name Lee Chaerin – 22) first solo single ‘나쁜기집애’. As the leader of renowned group 2NE1, who debuted in 2009, CL certainly upheld their reputation for releasing music that is full of personality.

We met with CL in a cafe in Seogyo-dong in Seoul on the 3rd.

“I’ve always thought about doing a solo but now it has actually been released,” she says with a smile. “Actually I wasn’t focusing on preparing for a solo. About a month before, the boss (YG Entertainment representative Yang Hyun Suk) said ‘Let’s do (your) solo record’ and that’s when we started preparing for the solo record. I’m really satisfied to be able to do activities with a song that represents me well (Laughs).”

‘나쁜 기집애’ is a hip-hop song with a slow beat that seems to match CL’s charismatic rap well. It contains an impressive addictive chorus that goes ‘난 나쁜 기집애 (I’m a bad girl)’. The song was created from an idea that came up in a conversation between CL and producer Teddy (Real name Park Hong Jun – 35).

“A while back, when I was joking around with Teddy oppa, the words ‘나쁜 기집애’ came up and there was a good feeling about it. And oppa also said ‘Next time when you have your solo activities, it’d be great if you could do activities with a song that contains the phrase ‘나쁜 기집애 (Bad girl)’. So this song was made as we remembered that time.”

CL who radiates intense charisma on stage is actually very different in daily life.

“I try very hard to separate my lives as CL and Chaerin. You might think that I like to go to clubs often to play but actually, I don’t like to play (Laughs). I’m someone who thinks that only this work that I do (music) is fun. On days when I’m resting, cooking is my hobby. When I’m alone I want to live not as CL but as Chaerin. And of course on stage, I want to be just CL.”

CL, who has kick-started her solo career with the release of this song, also revealed her aspirations as a solo singer. Although she released just one song this time around, she revealed that she would like to record a full album that contains a variety of colours in the future.

“I also like rock and rhythm and blues(R&B) music. Of course the base would still be hip hop, but I hope to be able to show a variety of colours in the future. While I’m still known as “2NE1′s CL” right now it’d be really nice if I could be recognized as just “CL” in the future (Laughs).”

Source: Citizens Daily
Translated by CLtheBaddestFemale (CLTBF)

No comments:

Post a Comment